Help I Was Hit By A Drunk Driver: Need Lawyer
Help, I Was Hit By A Drunk Driver And Need A Lawyer
If you or a loved one were hit by a drunk driver this holiday season who had to much to drink at a party, and need an attorney there are things you can do to protect yourself and receive compensation for your loss.
Often, insurance companies just want to settle these cases because juries may award punitive damages against the drunk driver to punish them for driving drunk. You may be entitled to more than you think.
Every day, 1 out of every 53 minutes someone dies because of car accidents caused by drunk drivers. In 2013, more than 275,000 people were injured in drunk driving crashes, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Painfully, only 1% of the 112 million episodes of self-reported alcohol impaired driving of U.S. adults have resulted in arrests, according to a CDC fact sheet.
If you or a loved one are injured because of a drunk driving accident, here are things you should do:
1. If you are involved in a car accident with a drunk driver immediately call 911.
2. Do not argue with the drunk driver.
3. Seek medical attention immediately, either on scene or request to be transported to the nearest medical facility.
4. Get the drunk driver’s license plate, insurance company name, insurance company policy number and drivers license number. If you have a cellphone, take photos of the scene and both vehicles involved, and of the driver.
5. If you are unable to work make sure you have a doctor’s excuse for every day you can’t work.
6. Hire a Bronx accident attorney that specializes in drunk driver accident cases.
7. Get a copy of the police accident report. Make sure the officer who investigated your accident gives you the incident number of report number for the accident report and their name and badge number. You will usually need this number to get a copy of the police accident report.
It is against the law to drive while intoxicated, however many people this holiday season drink at parties and think they are okay to drive. Knowing what to do will help you get legal representation more effective, and your case settled more quickly.
If you or your loved one was injured this holiday by a drunk drive and you are in need of a Bronx Accident Attorney, the Law Offices of Stuart M. Kerner, P.C., located in the Riverdale/Kingsbridge section of The Bronx, will investigate, prosecute and negotiate with the insurance company of the negligent party to settle your claim and obtain compensation for you based upon the severity of your injury and your pain and suffering. If you would like a legal opinion on the potential value of your matter or have a question about your rights, contact one of our lawyers at (718) 796-7900 to schedule a FREE Consultation online so we can evaluate your drunk driving accident case.