I Witnessed Police Brutality What do I do
If you have witnessed an incident involving police brutality, it may be overwhelming to consider knowing what to do, how to do it, and what the consequences might be. Chaos, confusion, panic, and heightened emotions can make it difficult to recount such events with clarity and certainty. Time is of the essence; understanding how to act decisively and handle what you’ve witnessed appropriately is critical in ensuring public safety and justice.
Contacting the legal professionals at the Law Offices of Stuart M. Kerner, P.C. is your best first step. Your preliminary consultation with us is an opportunity for you to meet our legal team. Together we will carefully review the details of what you witnessed and assess the best course to ensure the rights and safety of yourself and all others involved. Once we partner together, we will get right to work on gathering all the relevant information pertaining to your case, filing the necessary paperwork and claims, assembling witness statements, and preparing to litigate your case in court. We do not charge you any fees whatsoever until your case is resolved.
If we establish that you have been involved in a police brutality case, we will also want to establish what the case is worth. In our world today, this is a complex question to answer. Seldom are cases worth the high-dollar judgments that mainstream media has led us to expect. There are several considerations involved in police brutality incidents – most especially when serious injuries have been sustained. Some of the questions surrounding such injuries include:
- What was the nature of the incident and what injuries were incurred?
- What is the extent of the physical injuries?
- Was the injured party transported to the hospital?
- Was an ambulance used for the transport?
- What were the hospital’s bills?
- What did the hospital determine were the nature of the injuries?
- What did the hospital do for treatment to the injured party?
- Is continuing treatment and/or aftercare necessary?
- If so, for how long?
- Does this include physical therapy?
- Was the party injured incarcerated?
- If so, did they receive medical care in jail/prison?
- Did the injured party have any pre-existing conditions that were worsened by the confrontation?
Further conditions of the altercation that will be necessary to establish a claim may be:
- Were you or anyone else involved in the incident incarcerated for any period of time as a result of a potentially false arrest? If so, what was the duration of the incarceration?
- Was the duration of the incarceration solely related only to this immediate case, or was the length of your incarcerated due to other issues in addition to this case?
- Did you miss any time at work? Did you lose your job?
- Has the police officer involved ever had other charges brought against them of this nature?
- Was your incident a common occurrence that happens often [which should have been controlled by a faulty policy and its oversight]?
- Compared to other instances of police misconduct, how outrageous is your case?
- Are the actions of the police officer unique in this specific case?
There are a variety of hectic conditions that lead to the event you witnessed; these situations are often complex and require careful investigation to get the facts straight. Our experienced legal professionals are uniquely qualified to expeditiously assess the state of affairs that led to the violence involved, help determine the parties responsible for contributing to it, and win that which you deserve.
At the Law Offices of Stuart M. Kerner, P.C. our dedicated team of legal professionals will analyze the full scope of circumstances surrounding your claim. We will work carefully and diligently to examine all facets of the incident you observed, working with other eyewitnesses, gathering security and other videos when available, compiling statements, and getting to the heart of the matter. Your physical, emotional, and financial well-being are our main concern, and we won’t stop working until you are appropriately made whole.
Call us today. We will fight for you. We are YOUR Personal Injury Attorney in The Bronx, New York.
About The Law Offices of Stuart M. Kerner
If you’ve been injured and want the best possible outcome in your situation, the Law Offices of Stuart Kerner P.C. in The Bronx can help you. Our firm has obtained favorable results for injury victims and their families throughout the state of New York in personal injury cases such as auto accidents, oilfield accidents, traumatic brain injuries, and serious personal injuries.
Our law firm offers a free consultation to discuss your accident and review the legal remedies available to you. We’re available 24/7 to answer any questions you may have about your case. Above all, you shouldn’t feel alone and isolated after an accident. If you’ve been hurt in an accident, we’ll come to you. Our attorney can travel to your home or hospital, at your request.