New Hit-and-Run Alert System Keeping NYC Residents Safe
New Hit-and-Run Alert System Helps Keep New York City Residents Safe
Leaving the scene of an accident in New York City carries potentially serious criminal charges when property damage, bodily injury or death is involved…yet it happens every day. Fortunately, the NYPD has introduced a new hit and run alert system to catch hit and run drivers in NYC. As reported by ABC Eyewitness News 7, now SMS text messages, phone calls and emails will notify residents of drivers and vehicles involved in hit and runs (also know as leaving the scene of an incident without reporting).
This new law was named after Jean Paul Guerrero, also known as DJ Jinx Paul who was a local radio DJ who was struck and killed in Brooklyn last year in a hit and run accident.
State Assemblywoman Carmen De La Rosa is leading a bill that would expand the alerts across New York State. In a recent press statement the assemblywoman said, “We know that if a reckless driver is driving on the streets of New York City he can easily get to Buffalo in a few hours, he can easily take another life in Syracuse, in Utica, anywhere around our state.”
Police say they arrest fewer than 50 percent of hit and run drivers involved in deadly accidents. Under the new law, alerts would go out to the public within 24 hours of an accident involving a fatality or serious injury.
Hit and Run Accident Lawyer Shares Important Steps to Take After a Hit and Run Accident:
Many people flee accidents for two reasons: they are either not properly licensed or insured. With this in mind, if you are the victim of a hit-and-run accident what should you do? and are able to follow these steps, you may be more likely to recover damages.
- Dial 911 and get immediate help. If you are the victim of a hit-and-run accident and you are able to call for help, do so right away.
- Don’t leave the scene of the accident. If a hit-and-run driver strikes you, do not attempt to chase the vehicle. Instead stay at the scene of the accident and and wait for the police and EMS to arrive.
- Make Notes: If you are able, write down a description of the hit-and-run driver’s car and any or all of license plate number. If you have your phone with you, this can easily be done using the notes or voice recorder feature on your phone.
- Be sure to get witness contact information and details before they leave the scene: A witness report can be extremely helpful for the police, in addition to a claim you may file in the future.
- Contact your insurance company: If you or a household member own a vehicle, contact your own insurance company. Your insurer likely requires that you report the accident within a certain period of time after an accident. When you call, do not say anything about how the crash happened until you have gotten help from an attorney.
- Contact a Bronx hit-and-run accident attorney. Don’t try to go at this alone, you will want an advocate on your side throughout this difficult process. An experienced lawyer can help ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
The Law Offices of Stuart M. Kerner, P.C., located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, will investigate, prosecute and negotiate with the insurance company of the negligent party to settle your claim and obtain compensation for you based upon the severity of your injury and your pain and suffering. If you would like a legal opinion on the potential value of your personal injury matter or have a question about your rights, contact one of our car accident injury lawyers at (718) 796-7900 to schedule a FREE Consultation online so we can evaluate your personal injury case.