Bronx Bicycle Accident Attorney: Tips on Keeping Safe when Biking
New York Bicycle Accident Attorney and Bronx Injury Lawyer Shares Tips on How to Keep Safe When Biking…
Bicycle riding in the Bronx and New York City is an excellent source of fun and exercise for the entire family. You can ride around your neighborhood, in NYC parks or bike trails.
Unfortunately, even the most defensive cyclist may be involved in an accident with a car or other motor vehicle resulting in an injury. These bicycle accident prevention tips and personal injury safety recommendations can help keep you protected and safe.
New York Bicycle Accident Attorney and Bronx Injury Lawyer Shares Bicycle Accident Prevention & Personal Injury Safety Tips for You and Your Family:
As a New York Bicycle Accident Attorney and Bronx Injury Lawyer, I regularly recommend to my clients and the area residents I speak to about bicycle safety to take all safety precautions, whether alone or with children. Be sure that you and your family can all ride their bike. In the case of children, when first learning they may not be steady. Training wheels help with that, but even after they come off, it takes practice to get the hang of riding on all types of surfaces. If you have children, before you plan a family ride in one of our New York City boroughs, be sure they can handle their bike well. Teach them how to be safe when they ride with you or without you.
Protective Bike Gear
- Helmets: A helmet is a must to protect the head and neck from injury, especially in New York City. As a NY personal injury lawyer I have seen many minor accidents on bikes become fatal when a helmet is not worn. Size the helmet to fit your head securely without too much wiggle room. You don’t want it to slide off in mid-ride.
- Pads: Kids do get scrapes and cuts when they fall off of bikes. Wearing proper sized knee pads and elbow pads can help protect those bones from injury when involved in a bicycle accident.
- Reflective vests: When riding at night, it is hard to be seen if you are wearing dark clothing. But, you may not always feel like wearing white or another light color. To solve that problem, wear reflective vests so that you can be seen by oncoming and following traffic.
- Before your first ride and every ride, check your bike for any problems. All bikes need tires that are inflated to the proper size according to the bike manufacturer. This can prevent blow-outs and falls.
- Seats can be adjusted before you ride. If the seat is too hard, opt for a softer gel seat for comfort. Choose a height that allows your child to pedal without hitting their knees on the frame, but where they can also put their feet down quickly on the ground if they need to.
- Check the brakes. Good brakes can make all the difference in traffic situations. You want the brakes to work right away, even in the rain.
Teach your children the rules of the road before you go out to ride. Staying street smart can save lives.
- Know your hand signals. This lets cars, that might try to pass you, know when you are about to stop or turn.
- Ride with traffic. It is easier to avoid accidents when you are riding with the flow of traffic. And, use bike lanes whenever possible to give yourself more room.
- Never ride close to parked cars. Kids don’t often think of this one in their neighborhoods, but it is a good tip. A door opening suddenly can propel your child off their bike and into the street.
When your child rides a bike, teach them how to be safe so that they can have fun and avoid getting injured.
Trust a New York Bicycle Accident Attorney and Bronx Injury Lawyer Who Has Been Fighting For the Rights of Bronx Residents Over 20 Years!
If you are injured in a bicycle accident and are in need of a New York Bicycle Accident Attorney, at the Law Offices of Stuart M. Kerner, we have great experience in assessing personal injuries and their causes including bicycle accident cases. If you’d like a legal opinion on the value of your potential personal injury or have a question about your rights, contact my office toll free at 888-475-7544 or schedule a FREE CONSULTATION online so we can evaluate your personal injury case.
Insurance companies have lawyers protecting their interest, so why not have a New York Bicycle Accident Attorney and Bronx Injury Lawyer protect yours!