Someone Hit My Parked Car in Bronx: What to Do
Someone Crashed into My Car While It Was Parked in The Bronx. What Do I Do?
What Do I Do If My Car Was Hit in The Parking Lot at a Bronx Business?
If your car was damaged while you were parked in the Bronx, it’s important to understand what you can do to receive compensation for your losses. New York law regarding automobile accidents has much to be aware of when considering your legal rights. The law requires that drivers who have hit unattended vehicles leave a note with their name, address, and contact information in a visible location if they hit and damage a parked car. Leaving the scene of such an accident without providing any kind of information is considered a hit-and-run accident, and it is illegal.
In the event that your car was damaged and you were not there to witness it, there are steps you can follow to recover your damages.
- Did you or others in the area see the accident occur? Do not follow the fleeing driver! You have no way of knowing if they are dangerous or otherwise impaired by drugs and/or alcohol. Instead, if possible, record their license plate – or at the very least as much descriptive information about the vehicle as possible. This can help police identify the driver.
- Call 911, and file an accident report as soon as you are able.
- Gather all information from any witnesses to the accident, including their names and phone numbers, in the event, the police need to contact them in the future. See if any of them got any photos or videos of the accident or the offending vehicle.
- Make contact with the surrounding buildings and/or properties to find out if they have security cameras in the area where your car was damaged, and request a copy of the footage from the time you were parked.
- Take several photographs of the scene of the accident to record as much detail regarding the incident and resulting damage as possible.
- Contact your own automobile insurance company to report the damage. In the event that the other party is located, this will be to your advantage.
- Finally, call the Law Offices of Stuart M. Kerner, P.C. We are uniquely qualified to represent you when you have suffered a loss due to a parked car accident in the Bronx, and we will fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
New York state law states that in the event of an automobile accident in which any party incurs a loss of $1,000.00 or more, all available drivers must file a Report of Motor Vehicle Accident form with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) no later than ten (10) days following the accident. Failure to do so can result in the suspension of your driver’s license. Additionally, it’s important to understand that the deadline – or statute of limitations – for filing a case pertaining to a vehicle accident in the state of New York is three years from the date of the accident. This means that unless you file the initial complaint in your claim against another party within the three-year period, your case will likely be thrown out by the court. That same three-year deadline applies if the lawsuit is seeking only compensation for the repair or replacement of damaged property (such as a vehicle).
Don’t delay! Call the Law Offices of Stuart M. Kerner, P.C. today.
About The Law Offices of Stuart M. Kerner
If you’ve been injured and want the best possible outcome in your situation, the Law Offices of Stuart Kerner P.C. in The Bronx can help you. Our firm has obtained favorable results for injury victims and their families throughout New York in personal injury cases such as auto accidents, oilfield accidents, traumatic brain injuries, and serious personal injuries.
Our law firm offers a free consultation to discuss your accident and review the legal remedies available to you. We’re available 24/7 to answer any questions you may have about your case. Above all, you shouldn’t feel alone and isolated after an accident. If you’ve been hurt in an accident, we’ll come to you. Our attorney can travel to your home or hospital, at your request.