Top Ten Reasons To Hire Lawyers After Car Accidents
Top Ten Reasons You Need A Lawyer After A Car Accident
If you were injured through someones negligence in driving a vehicle, then you have certain rights under the law. You want to be sure to protect your rights after a car accident so you don’t end up paying- financially and personally- for someone else’s careless driving. Read the top 10 reasons why hiring an attorney after a car accident will help protect your rights under the law.
1. You may have only a limited time to pursue legal actions: In many states, the statute of limitations for filing a car accident claim is two years. If you don’t sue within that time, you give up your right to sue forever.
2. You need to comply with certain rules in order to sue .You may need to file a police report within a given period of time. Your state may have additional requirements as well. An attorney who is experienced in handling car accident injuries will be familiar with the laws of your state, and can help you make sure you don’t do anything that jeopardizes your right to sue.
3. Your insurance company: Most insurance companies primarily look to protect their insured and to compensate them for damages. However, insurance companies also want to keep costs down and reduce overhead. Since your agenda and your insurance companies agenda may not be on the same page, hiring a lawyer specialized in car accidents can be the best way to ensure you have an advocate for your interests.
4. You may not fully understand all of your potential damages: There are a whole host of potential damages available to people who are injured in an accident. In addition to medical bills, you may be able to recover for lost income from your employment, pain and suffering, and emotional distress. Your family members may even be able to recover for the loss of your companionship if you have become incapacitated. If you don’t hire an attorney, you may not be aware of all of your potential legal rights to recovery.
5. Proving liability can be complex: Even if their are witnesses and a police report saying the other party is at fault, proving that the driver was so negligent that he breached a duty of care to you can be difficult. Note that there are many elements that go into winning a personal injury lawsuit, you will need to hire an attorney who understands the law and who can provide references to cases, citations and other sources of law that support your position.
6. Laws vary from state to state: Automobile insurance and car accident rules are decided by each individual jurisdiction. For example, there are several “no-fault” states in the US in which you cannot sue after a car accident except under special circumstances. In some states, you can sue even if you were partially at fault for the accident while in others, if you contributed to causing the accident you cannot sue. An attorney can help explain all the subtleties of the law within your jurisdiction to you, so you understand all of your legal rights.
7. You need to understand settlement options: Most cases settle out of court, which means the defendant or his insurance company is likely to make you an offer of some kind. Your attorney will help you understand the implications of accepting that offer, since once you accept, you give up your right to sue. Your lawyer can also help you to evaluate whether settling is the best option in your case or not.
8. Filing a lawsuit requires adhering to often complex rules: If you decide to sue, you will have to file the appropriate papers in court. Many of complex rules exist on everything from the font size of the brief to how legal precedent is cited and what evidence is admissible. You will need an experienced lawyer to guide you through the complicated process of filing suit.
9. Proving your case can be even more complex: Just as filing your case is complex, proving your case is even more difficult. You may be permitted to “discover’ certain information from the opposing side, and you may be limited in the types of witnesses and evidence you present. There may even restrictions on the kinds of questions and what the wording of questions you ask in court. Furthermore, extensive legal research often needs to be done to convince the court or jury to side with you. As such, it is very difficult to prove personal injury liability on your own.
10. If you don’t hire an attorney, you could be faced with financial loss: If you don’t sue in time, if you don’t sue for the right damages or sue the right defendants, and if you lose your case as a result of improperly presenting your information, you will be barred from ever suing again. This means you will have used up your only chance for recovery and you will be stuck with all the costs and bills as a result of the accident that someone else carelessly caused.
If you or your loved one were injured this holiday season died due to someone else’s negligence, talk to an experienced personal injury lawyer.
If you or your loved one was injured this Thanksgiving holiday and you are in need of a Automobile Accident Attorney, the Law Offices of Stuart M. Kerner, P.C., located in the Riverdale/Kingsbridge section of the Bronx, will investigate, prosecute and negotiate with the insurance company of the negligent party to settle your claim and obtain compensation for you based upon the severity of your injury and your pain and suffering. If you would like a legal opinion on the potential value of your matter or have a question about your rights, contact one of our lawyers at (718) 796-7900 to schedule a FREE Consultation online so we can evaluate your car accident case.