Trip Slip & Fall Accidents: Getting Help in NYC
Trip, Slip and Fall Accidents – Getting the Help You Deserve
The so-called “mean streets” of New York City take on a new meaning when you suffer a trip, slip and fall accident. These kinds of accidents send countless individuals to the emergency room each and every year, often leading to significant injuries like fractures, traumatic brain injuries and even death.
If you’ve had an accident in the Bronx or surrounding areas, you could be justified in filing a personal injury lawsuit or filing for workers’ compensation if the incident happened at your workplace.
Accidents that are no fault of your own are common in restaurants, shopping centers, train stations and other public places. Breaking a leg or having a serious back injury can sideline you from your normal routine and job. It’s important to get help in these situations.
They can result from dangerous conditions, poor maintenance or just poor design, including:
- Items left in walkways.
- Slippery surfaces.
- Water leaks.
- Spilled drinks or food in a grocery store.
- Poor lighting in a restaurant.
- Defective flooring.
- Broken or cracked sidewalks
Whatever the reason, there are legal avenues you can pursue to recoup the money you may lose due to missed work or medical bills. An experienced legal firm such as the Law Offices of Stuart M. Kerner can help you understand your rights and the options you have to pursue fair compensation and settlement.
When To File a Claim
Don’t wait, you have three years from the time of your injury to file a claim in New York, unless your claim is against the State, County, City or other municipality agency.
What To Do When You Get Injured
There are a few things you should do immediately after the accident occurs:
1. Take photos: If you’re on a cracked sidewalk or wet tiled floor when you trip, slip and fall, you need to document it. These photos could help you in a personal injury lawsuit.
2. Tell the manager: If your trip, slip and fall accident happens in a store or restaurant, it’s important that you make the manager or property owner aware of the incident and request an accident or incident report be completed.
3. Talk with witnesses: Get the contact information and names of those around you who witnessed your trip, slip and fall.
4. Get medical help: Even if you don’t feel you’re severely injured, it’s best to visit the emergency room or an urgent care clinic anyway. You also need to get a report of your medical visit, which is another crucial piece of evidence for a lawsuit.
5. Hire a personal injury lawyer: Many law firms, including ours, can evaluate your case and tell you about your options. If you can proceed with a lawsuit or claim, you should choose an experienced personal injury law firm, like ours, to represent you in the case.
Premises Liability Cases
When determining if you can seek a personal injury claim for your accident, you must consider whether it was a result of negligence from a business or person. Typically, these accidents are considered premises liability cases and rely on your ability to prove whether the property owner has properly maintained the property.
A good personal injury attorney or back injury lawyer (depending on your situation) can help you establish fault, gather evidence, coordinate with your medical team, and build a case supporting your claims.
Personal injury attorneys work on your behalf, fighting for your rights and compensation you and your family deserve, allowing you to focus on healing.
Proving Your Case for a Lawsuit
To prove the owner was negligent in a trip, slip and fall injury, you need a few elements in place.
1. You must prove that the owner of the property owed you a “reasonable duty of care,” meaning the owner was legally obligated to take care not to cause foreseeable harm to others through improper property maintenance.
2. You must prove that the owner breached this duty of care and was negligent in failing to properly maintain his property.
3. You must prove that your accident was the direct result of this negligence and breach of care.
4. You must establish that you suffered physical injury from the accident.
An experienced trip, slip and fall law firm in NYC, like the Law Offices of Stuart M. Kerner, P.C., can help you build a strong case and work hard to help you win the settlement you deserve.
If you or a loved one was recently injured because they had an accident on the job or in a public place near the Bronx, an experienced legal team can be a valuable asset, helping you effectively navigate the legal waters involved with any claims or lawsuits you may be contemplating. The law offices of Stuart M. Kerner, P.C. may be able to help you reach a settlement to cover your medical expenses and any rehabilitation costs, lost wages or future earning ability, and even compensation for pain and suffering or emotional damages. Calls us today so we can evaluate your case and help you move forward with your life at (718) 796-7900 to schedule a FREE Consultation online so we can evaluate your personal injury case.