car hit pedestrian

What Is MVAIC: Bronx Hit & Run Accident Lawyer Answers

Bronx Hit and Run Accident Lawyer Answers the Question, “What Is MVAIC?”

Today I want to discuss what happens when there is a motor vehicle related accident and neither the injured party nor anyone who resides in his or her  home owns a vehicle, and thus there is absolutely no auto insurance available. Is the injured party completely without a remedy?

Thankfully, in New York State the answer is No.

Here is why…

In 1958 the New York State Legislature, by enactment of Article 17-A (now Article 52) of the New York Insurance Law, created an entity to protect accident victims who find themselves in the situation I described above. The entity they created is called the Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation or  “MVAIC” for short. MVAIC provides automobile No-Fault insurance benefits as well as automobile liability (bodily injury) payments to qualifying New Yorkers injured in automobile accidents where there is no auto insurance at all available due to an uninsured or hit and run drive or car with stolen plates.

Who Is Eligible For Benefits Through MVAIC?
To determine your eligibility for MVAIC benefits, you must meet the following requirements:

– You were involved in a motor vehicle accident in New York.
– You were a resident of New York when the motor vehicle accident occurred. Under special circumstances, residents of other states may be eligible for MVAIC benefits. (note: If you were not a resident of New York when the accident occurred and have questions pertaining to eligibility, please call our law office by phone at (718) 796-7900, to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our attorneys).
– You have no other automobile insurance available to you. If you or any of your household relatives own an insured motor vehicle, you will be required to file a claim with that insurance company to see if you are covered under that policy for benefits.
– You were NOT the owner of the uninsured vehicle that was involved in the accident.
– You were NOT the spouse of the uninsured vehicle’s owner, and a passenger in that uninsured vehicle.

Is There a Time Limit to File An MVAIC Claim?
Yes, there are time-frame requirements that must be adhered to. If these time-frames are not met, your eligibility could be affected. The following report time requirements must be met to ensure your eligibility:

– The motor vehicle accident must be reported to the Police (Peace Officer) within 24 hours of the accident occurring.
– A Notice of Intention (NOI) is submitted to MVAIC within 90 days of the accident, if the accident was with a Hit & Run or unidentified motor vehicle.
– A Notice of Intention (NOI) is submitted to MVAIC within 180 days of the accident, if the accident was with an identified motor vehicle. The requirements above are set forth in Article 52 of the New York Insurance Law.

The time following an accident can be incredibly challenging, especially if you don’t have no fault insurance coverage to help you through. If you or your loved have been involved in a Hit and Run accident are in need of a Bronx Accident Attorney, Kerner Law Group, P.C., located in the Riverdale/Kingsbridge section of the Bronx, will investigate, prosecute and negotiate with the insurance company of the negligent party to settle your MVAIC claim and obtain compensation for you based upon the severity of your injury and your pain and suffering. If you would like a legal opinion on the potential value of your matter or have a question about your rights, contact one of our lawyers at (718) 796-7900 to schedule a FREE Consultation online so we can evaluate your personal injury case.

Contact Numbers:
Office Hours:

Monday – Friday
9:00am to 5:00pm
Sat – Sun: By Appointment

Open 24 Hours
Follow Us: