Defensive Driving Tips – What Every Driver Should Know
Bronx Car Accident Attorney Shares Defensive Driving Tips
You don’t have to be a Bronx Car Accident Attorney to know that a car accident can occur at any moment and even at low speeds they can cause serious personal injuries, including death.
Fortunately, there are NYS Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) approved defensive driving classes available to Westchester, Bronx, and Upper Manhattan residents that can help drivers prepare for some of the unexpected occurrences on the road that can lead to an accident. These courses are often given in both English and Spanish and in many cases will qualify you for a 10% insurance discount and traffic ticket point reduction upon completion of the course.
If you are not able to take a defensive driving class or online course, there are some great tips for defensive driving on the internet including YouTube defensive driving videos and articles online relating to safe driving techniques.
Bronx Car Accident Attorney. Defensive Driving Strategies on Avoiding a Car Accident.
Below is an overview of my top 4 driver safety tips/good driving tips for avoiding a car accident or motor vehicle-related injury:
1. Focus on the road when driving – Put away all distractions such as cell phones and concentrate on your surroundings whenever you are operating a motor vehicle. Driver distractions are a major cause of car accidents. Looking down for even a split second can cause you to strike another vehicle if traffic slowed without notice. In a recent blog, I explain what I feel are the 3 most common causes of car accidents.
2. Be responsible behind the wheel. If you’re a teenager driver just learning the ways of the road or an inexperienced driver, be sure to never get behind the wheel without the supervision of an experienced driver. Responsible driving behavior also encompasses staying informed about weather conditions prior to hitting the road. And of course, be responsible when you are drinking alcohol. It’s easier to take a cab or have someone who is sober drive you home than to face jail time if arrested for DWI, or even worse, be the reason someone got hurt.
3. Keep up with the maintenance on your vehicle – The worse time to realize your brakes are bad is when you have to stop on the dime to avoid an accident. As a Bronx Car Accident Attorney, I have represented many passengers that were injured in a car accident and the cause of the accident was nothing more than faulty brakes. Like health checkups, your car needs regular tune-ups too. In fact, all vehicles registered in New York State must get a safety & emissions inspection every 12 months. So make certain to also examine your automobile for any issues prior to hitting the road. As the old adage goes, “It’s better to be safe than sorry”.
4. Be a defensive driver – Driving defensively instead of aggressively will not only help prevent you from being the victim of a car accident caused by another driver’s aggression or negligence but you will also avoid the potential personal injuries that often result from a motor vehicle-related accident. Remember, the best offense is a good defense.
There you have it, my top tips for defensive driving. As I mentioned earlier, if you are interested in taking a course on Defensive Driving, there are many classes offered throughout Westchester, the Bronx, and other New York City Boroughs. As an added incentive, many insurance companies offer a discount on their auto policy premiums to their insured once you have completed such classes.
Trust a Bronx Personal Injury Lawyer and Car Accident Attorney Who Has Been Fighting For the Rights of the Bronx, Upper Manhattan, and Lower Westchester Residents For Over 20 Years!
If you are injured as a driver or passenger in a car accident and are in need of a Bronx Car Accident Attorney, at the Law Offices of Stuart M. Kerner, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, we have great experience in assessing personal injuries and their causes including car accident cases. If you would like a legal opinion on the potential value of your personal injury matter or have a question about your rights before starting a lawsuit, contact our office to schedule a FREE Consultation online so one of our Bronx attorneys can evaluate your case.
What Every Driver Should Know About Car Accidents & Car Accident Statistics
Did you know that of the top 10 leading causes of death worldwide, car accidents placed 9th overall and 1st amongst the top 10 accident-related deaths?
And if car accident statistics like that aren’t alarming enough, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration someone is involved in a car accident every ten seconds with a car accident-related death happening approximately once every 12 minutes!
These car accident statistics plus the fact that over 40,000 Americans have fatal injuries in automobile-related accidents every year are the reasons why automobile accidents have become a national epidemic.
Bronx Personal Injury Lawyer Explains the Leading Causes of Car Accidents
As a Bronx Personal Injury Lawyer and Car Accident Attorney practicing in the Kingsbridge / Riverdale section of the Bronx for over 20 years now, I have seen many different types of car accidents ranging from the rear end and head-on collisions to sideswipes and rollovers. Regardless of the type of collision, car accidents are often the result of one of three things:
1. Driver Recklessness, Distraction, or Negligence
2. Defective Vehicles or Vehicle Parts
3. Roadway and Weather Conditions
Let’s look at each of these causes one by one…
1. Driver Negligence, Distraction, or Recklessness: Many car accidents are commonly credited to motorist neglect or recklessness. Reckless driving behaviors such as driving under the influence are criminal as well. Drunk driving often results in fatalities (drunk driving statistics and car accident statistics alike show this to be 40% of all traffic-related deaths) and other serious car accident-related injuries such as paralysis and traumatic brain injury. Other careless and negligent driver behaviors, like talking or “texting” on a cell phone, changing radio stations, or even putting on makeup, may only result in a summons and/or points against the driver’s license, but these low-speed collisions result in serious soft tissue personal injuries such as whiplash as well as broken bones and fractures. Many of the car accident victims and pedestrian injuries I see as a personal injury lawyer practicing here in the Bronx, NY are the result of such negligent behaviors.
Other forms of driver negligence include speeding, disobeying stop signs or yield signs, and even rubbernecking. Aggressive driving behaviors such as cutting in and out of lanes, not giving way to other motorists or pedestrians, or challenging other drivers to a street race add to the rising number of car accidents per year.
2. Automobiles Defects and Negligence: Did you know that the design of an SUV makes it less stable on the road and 4 times more likely to roll over in an accident as compared to passenger cars? Flaws in car design, faulty automobile components, and improper auto upkeep on the part of the car owner are significant reasons for car accidents. Malfunctioning airbags, safety belts, car seats, door latches, ignition, and fuel systems are just some of the contributing factors to the injuries and damages that happen as a result of car accidents due to car manufacturer defects. So be sure to adhere to factory recalls. If you have an older car, check online from time to time for updates on your make and model to see if there is a recall on your vehicle.
3. Roadway and Weather Conditions: While we have no control over nature’s elements we do have control of the decision to drive in bad weather. Conditions such as snow, sleet, and rain (with or without the proper tires) increase your risk of being involved in an accident. For this reason, driving without first considering the weather and resulting road conditions may be considered negligence on the part of the driver. Different weather and road conditions require that a driver change the speed and way that he or she operates the vehicle compared with normal conditions.
You don’t have to be a Personal Injury Lawyer or Car Accident Attorney to know that a car accident can occur at any moment and even at low speeds they can cause serious personal injuries, including death. By being aware of these car accident statistics as well as the common causes of motor vehicle accidents, many can be avoided.
Trust a Bronx Personal Injury Lawyer and Car Accident Attorney Who Has Been Fighting For the Rights of Bronx Residents for Over 20 Years!
About The Law Offices of Stuart M. Kerner
If you’ve been injured and are looking to obtain the best possible outcome in your situation, the Law Offices of Stuart Kerner P.C. in The Bronx can help you. Our firm has obtained favorable results for injury victims and their families throughout the state of New York in personal injury cases such as auto accidents, oilfield accidents, traumatic brain injuries, and serious personal injuries.
Our law firm offers a free consultation to discuss your accident and review the legal remedies available to you. We’re available 24/7 to answer any questions you may have about your case. Above all, you shouldn’t feel alone and isolated after an accident. If you’ve been hurt in an accident, we’ll come to you. Our attorney can travel to your home or hospital, at your request.